Monday, December 12, 2016

A Non-Fiction Reading Challenge

I've been stockpiling a lot of non-fiction for the past few years. There's so much more I want to learn about the world and now that I'm not in college, the idea of learning for fun is a reality and far more appealing since I can pick and choose what to read. So, in 2017, I really want to dedicate myself to read more non-fiction. I have a ton of it listed on my reading list for the year already, but figured I'd make a dedicated post because...I can.

I want to spend the month of February reading non-fiction. Since my reading pace with non-fiction is kind of slow, it tends to frustrate me that I'm not finishing books, so I'll throw in romance novels when I just need something light and quick I can finish off - I certainly have plenty.

Additionally, I want to read at least one non-fiction book every other month of the year. That'll get me at least 11, plus (hopefully) 10 or so in February. The downside is that since a lot of my personal interests tend to be written by white people, it does eat into my goal of 50%+ diverse books, but I am aiming to read mostly women, at the very least. And, this will help clear out my shelves so I can look for more non-fiction to add.

From My Shelves
In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson
The Romanov Sisters by Helen Rappaport
Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay
The Spy Who Loved by Clare Mulley
Romance is My Day Job by Patience Bloom
Hijacking the Runway by Teri Agins
Angel of Vengeance by Ana Siljak
Marie Antoinette by Evelyn Lever
We Two by Gillian Gil
All I Know Now by Carrie Hope Fletcher
The Good Girl's Guide to Getting Lost by Rachel Friedman
Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow
Liberty by Lucy Moore
Empress Dowager Cixi by Chang Jung
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me by Mindy Kaling
Princesses Behaving Badly by Linda McRobbie Rodriguez
Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly
The Spectacular Sisterhood of Superwomen by Hope Nicholson
Iron Curtain by Anne Applebaum

On My Wishlist
The Unwomanly Face of War by Svetlana Alexievich
Voices from Chernobyl by Svetlana Alexievich
The Magnolia Story by Chip & Joanna Gaines
Spy Princess by Shrabani Basu
Dead Wake by Erik Larson
Underground in Berlin by Marie Jalowicz Simon
Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert Massie
Black Earth/Bloodlines by Timothy Snyder
Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari
Shrill by Lindy West

This is obviously more than the predicted 21 I'll read, but I'm allowing wiggle room for DNF-ing books (which I count as read, but don't want to count towards the challenge) or losing interest in something or not being able to get my hands on something or reading it before 2016 ends. Plus, I could always end up reading MORE than 21.

If anyone else wants to join in and do a non-fiction reading challenge in 2017, I highly encourage it and I'm happy to give recommendations! I also highly recommend browsing BookOutlet, which is where I find a lot of new-to-me titles and I think they'll be having a sale around Boxing Day/Christmas? So, that would be an excellent time to stock up!

No comments:

Post a Comment